SS Banner Small

Information for Parents and Guardians

When your son or daughter starts at the University of Lincoln, it marks the beginning of an exciting new phase for them. For many students it’s the start of their independent life, living away from people and places that they know.

How can a Parent be involved?

We understand that for many parents, this is the first experience of having no daily involvement with your child’s everyday routines. Some students may call their parents frequently and let you know things are going well. Others may throw themselves into University life and not call as often as you’d like. Before your son or daughter goes away to University, set the frequency of contact together in partnership and then review this after a few weeks, once the student has settled into their new routine and understands the demands on their time.

What are the limits to a parent’s involvement?

The University of Lincoln still wants parents to remain involved in their children’s lives, as long as they allow it. However, the University has to adhere to UK and Europe privacy laws which place a duty to protect the privacy of all members of the University community, including students and staff. This means that the University is not able to disclose personal data to anyone, parents included, other than in the most exceptional of circumstances because of the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998.

How will I know how my son or daughter is doing?

The only way is to ask them. UK universities are not permitted to release information about students to any third party without the consent of the student. This includes their parents.

Can the student sign a waiver to allow the University to discuss the student with their parents?

In certain cases, students who are registered with the Student Wellbeing Centre can request to sign a Parental Consent Form. Students who access the Student Wellbeing Centre do not have to request or sign this form if they do not want to and we cannot discuss anything with their parents in this case. For those students who do wish for Parental Consent, this form enables the staff within the Student Wellbeing Centre to talk to parents about the student’s involvement with this service only. We will not disclose any other information about the student’s interaction with the University.

How can the University help if you have serious concerns about a student?

If you have concerns about your son or daughter whilst they are at University then it is important that you contact us. Maybe you have received a worrying message from them, not heard from them in a while or are worried about a serious medical condition that they may have, if you are concerned then please tell us. We can then check to see if things are as they should be through our Concern for Welfare procedure. Whilst we may not be able to tell you the outcome, we can act on what you tell us. Although we can’t give you the student’s contact details, we can encourage them to make contact with you.

Will the University contact parents if the Student is in trouble?

Yes we will do this, but only in very serious circumstances. The Data Protection Act does allow the University to disclose information in certain circumstances; usually these are life or death situations. If the student is in grave danger we are able to contact their parents, even if the students is unable to give permission. This decision will be based on the agreement that communication with the parents is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the student.

What if the Parents know a student is struggling?

If you know that your child is struggling and could do with some help, then please contact the Student Wellbeing Centre at or 01522 886400.

What if my son or daughter has a disability, long standing condition, mental health condition or Specific Learning Difference?

The Student Wellbeing Centre can offer academic support to any student who can provide medical evidence. This is known as a Learning Support Plan and is sent to the student’s tutors and the Library to advise them of the additional support (such as exam or library support) that the student might need.

Please note that if your son or daughter has been diagnosed with a Specific Learning Difference, they will need to provide us with a copy of their full Educational Psychologists Assessment, which needs to have been done after they turned 16 years old.

What if my son or daughter has specific requirements when applying for accommodation?

If you can provide medical evidence of your son or daughter’s condition, and there is legitimate need for prioritised accommodation, the Student Wellbeing Centre will be able to correspond with Residential Services to support their application for this. Your son or daughter will still need to apply for accommodation as normal.

We can help students with mobility issues to get any additional requirements they may need to put into place.

What services do the Student Wellbeing Centre offer?

Disability Service

The Disability Service is available to any student with a disability, long-standing condition, mental health condition or Specific Learning Difference. As noted previously, a Learning Support Plan will be created to ensure the necessary support is put in place for your son or daughter.

If a student decides to access this service, they will be assigned their own Disability Advisor, who can provide access and support during their academic studies.

Students with disabilities can also apply for Disabled Student’s Allowances (DSA), which can help fund assistive technology and non-medical help to aid the student’s academic studies. Our Disability Advisors can assist in the process of this application. More information about DSA can be found at the following website:

Students are also able to access a daily drop-in should they have any concerns about their disability.

Counselling Service

The Counselling Service offers a high standard of service to support students through their difficulties, to help them understand themselves better and find better ways of managing.

Should your son or daughter ever feel the need to access the Counselling Service, they should contact the Student Wellbeing Centre to find out how.

Please note that our Counselling Service is designed for short term therapy and cannot be used to replace ongoing Counselling on the NHS. If your son or daughter currently accesses mental health services via the NHS, you should consult with their GP or practitioner about how your son or daughter’s treatment can be transferred to Lincoln.

We also have Mental Health Advisors, accessible through the Disability Service, who can provide ongoing support for students who experience Mental Health Issues.


Both our Counselling and Disability Services run drop-in appointments on weekdays. To find out more, your son or daughter should contact us via the details on this website.

Chaplaincy Service

The Chaplaincy Service offer pastoral welfare for students of any and no religion. There are various events and gatherings throughout the year. The Student’s Union also offers a range of religious societies that students have the opportunity to join.


Student Minds Transition to University Guides

Student Minds have created a guide for students transitioning to University. It contains helpful information on what to expect academically and what support is available. To access the guides please click on the following link: