Short-Term Study (Student) Visa

Study on an English Language course between 6 and 11 months in length

Student Services - Woman pulling suitcase through airport.
This page is brought to you by the Advice Service

The information provided below is based on the most up to date UK Home Office Immigration Rules and on the UK Home Office ‘Visit Visa’ Guidance.

If you have any questions you can talk to the International Advice Team in confidence. We are impartial and here to advise in your best interests. Please email: or call 01522 837080.


The Short-Term Student Visa route is only available to students who want to do an English Language course which is between 6 and 11 months in length.  The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) and GOV.UK have further detailed guidance and information.

If you wish to undertake a short course of study which is 6 months or less in length you can apply to do this under a Standard Visitor Visa. Further information about the kind of study you can do on a Visitor Visa can be found at GOV.UK and UKCISA.

You might want to travel to the UK via the Republic of Ireland. However, it is important to understand that both the UK and the Republic of Ireland are countries that are part of a Common Travel Area (CTA) and because of this there is no immigration control on arrival in the UK from the Republic of Ireland.

This can cause a problem for non-visa national students on short courses who want to apply for their visa at the UK border as the Republic of Ireland do not have the facilities to issue you with the correct visa.

You should therefore apply for your UK entry clearance (visa) in your home country if you wish to travel through the Republic of Ireland.

This is only an issue when arriving via the Republic of Ireland (for example, via Dublin).  Northern Ireland is part of the UK, so if you fly directly to Northern Ireland (for example direct to Belfast), the problem does not arise.

Further detailed guidance can be found at UKCISA.


Quote Icon