SWC Bubble SpLDs

Specific Learning Differences

‘SpLDs’ is a term which includes Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia and Dysgraphia. Each of these diagnoses can have a varying effect on the person and often SpLDs are co-occurring (meaning that a person may have two or more of the above). Many students find that they can learn to overcome many of the difficulties associated with their Specific Learning Difference by creating management strategies and getting appropriate support.

SpLD Testing

If you suspect you may have an SpLD you would need to have a full Dyslexia Assessment with an Educational Psychologist in order to be formally diagnosed. If you are currently enrolled at the University of Lincoln you should come to one of our drop-in sessions on Monday – Friday, 12pm – 2pm. We can then carry out a ‘screener’ for you and if this shows a likelihood of SpLD we will refer you for a full assessment. If the screener is indeterminate we may refer you for an ‘advanced screener’ which will then tell us whether you need to have a full assessment or not.

If you are not currently enrolled with us, you can choose to wait until you enrol to have your assessment. Currently we do have funding to pay for these for students, but this is never guaranteed. If you choose to wait until you enrol, you should come to drop-in as soon as you can (please note we have extended drop-in times during the first few weeks of Semester A) as this will cause a delay in your support, especially if you are planning to apply for Disabled Students Allowance.

The alternative would be to fund the assessment yourself and this way you can get your diagnosis and support in place prior to starting University. If you choose to do this you should send us a copy of your Dyslexia Assessment report when you receive it to ensure we can put a Learning Support Plan in place prior to your arrival. You can find dyslexia assessment centres local to you by googling this or contacting your local British Dyslexia Association branch for advice.

Please note that if you are applying for Disabled Student’s Allowance you will need to have had a full dyslexia assessment carried out by an educational psychologist after your 16th birthday. For a Learning Support Plan, we may accept less evidence than this so it is worth sending it to us if you have it.

Full contact information for where to send your evidence to can be found here.

Support Available for All Students

Please click on the link below to find out more information about support available for all students.

Academic Support Booklet

Useful Links

British Dyslexia Association

The Dyslexia Association – East Midlands

Dyspraxia Foundation