Sometimes sexual misconduct can occur within a relationship, for example when one person puts pressure on the other to engage in sexual activity. Consent is always required before any form of sexual activity takes place, regardless of whether the individuals involved are in a relationship or have history together. There is no consent when intimidation, threats, physical force or deception have been used.

Sexual misconduct within a relationship may be present alongside other forms of abuse, including physical, psychological and financial abuse. One person may make threats, intimidate their partner or constantly check and control where they are and who they are with. There are lots of behaviours that might be present in an abusive relationship, and more information can be found here.

If you have experienced or are in a relationship where sexual misconduct or abuse has taken place, you should visit the Student Wellbeing Centre as soon as possible. At the Student Wellbeing Centre we will take you seriously, and can discuss your options with you in confidential space. More information can be found on our Guidance and Information page. You can also use the online reporting tool to report any form of relationship abuse to us, if it is safe for you to do so.


Sources of Support

If you, or someone you know has experienced any form of domestic abuse, please contact the Student Wellbeing Centre for help and advice:

Call 01522 886400





Ending Domestic Abuse Now in Lincolnshire (formerly West Lincolnshire Domestic Abuse Service) supports anyone who is experiencing or has experienced domestic abuse. Services available include outreach support and IDVA’s (Independent Domestic Violence Advocates).

Telephone 01522 510041 or email


In an emergency you should call 999. If you are no longer in immediate danger you should call 101.

The address for Lincoln City Centre Police Station is West Parade, Lincoln, LN1 1YP.




The National Domestic Violence Helpline is free to call and available 24 hours a day. Calls are confidential, and translation services are available. There is also a service for callers who are deaf or have a hearing impairment.

Call 0808 2000 247



Victim support can provide emotional and practical support to anyone who has experienced domestic abuse, whether or not you choose to report to the police.

Lincolnshire specific number: 0300 3030158

National number: 0808 1689 111



Galop provides support to LGBT+ people who have experienced any form of abuse. This service can help you to access advice and counselling.

Call 0800 999 5428






Lincolnshire County Council has a dedicated website area on domestic abuse, which provides information on the support which is available in Lincolnshire. They have also produced the following resource: